Basics. We all need them.
– True caramelized onions are luscious, jammy and have the perfect balance of super-sweet and savory.
And all it takes to get luscious, jammy, sweet caramelized onions is a little time.
– When garlic is roasted, it is transformed from something punchy, spicy and sharp into something sweet, mellow and buttery soft – perfect for smearing on warm, crusty bread, scooping into mashed potatoes or blending into soups, dressings and sauces.
And it’s ridiculously easy to make.
– Browning butter is one of those kitchen techniques that every person should have in their arsenal. It takes 5 minutes, but can elevate whatever you are making, sweet or savory, from tasty to sublime.
– Learn the “secret” ingredient that makes brown butter even better!
Sweet pastry crusts are the foundations of tasty pies and tarts.
– A sweet pastry crust should be toasty and crisp, buttery and lightly sweet. It should be deeply golden brown, full of texture and flavor, the perfect cookie shell for your sweet fillings of fruits, custards, curds and chocolates.
– Knowing how to BLIND BAKE will help your sweet pastry crusts to stay crisp even under wet fillings.
These are my family recipes. All these dishes, desserts, cookies and breads have been an integral part of our family life. Food not only brings us nourishment, but also sentimentality and memory.
Many of these recipes are quick and easy. Some are more challenging and time consuming. But all of them are do-able. I have tried to simplify as much as possible, but did not want to skimp on detail and description because I so understand the frustration of not knowing if everything is going the way it’s supposed to go – especially if preparing something new and unfamiliar.
As I always say, my recipes are less about what is traditional or trendy and more about what my family enjoys. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!