Creamy Cole Slaw is sweet, tangy, crunchy and cold. It is the perfect side for fried chicken, sandwiches, burgers and all things barbecue.
This Creamy Cole Slaw can be made in no time and will taste delicious (maybe even better) the next day and the next.
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 small red onion, quartered, thinly sliced
- 2 or 3 cups (about 50 g or 2 oz) arugula, chopped (about 1 cup chopped)
- 3 large scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons (120 g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) horseradish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon (7 g) coarse brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) seasoned rice vinegar
- 3/4 tablespoon (12 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (25 g sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.5 g) ground black pepper
*Horseradish sauce can be substituted with 1/2 tablespoon (7 g) prepared horseradish and 2 tablespoons (40 G) mayonnaise
– Place all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
– Whisk the slaw dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
– Pour about half of the dressing over the salad and toss. Add more to your liking. (Keep any leftover dressing in a sealed container or jar in the refrigerator.)
– Cover the slaw and refrigerate.
About this recipe
Creamy Cole Slaw is a great salad. It is delicious as the ideal side dish, but is also fantastic stuffed into crispy chicken sandwiches, cold turkey wraps and barbecue sandwiches. It is tasty, quick, easy and definitely a “must-have” in your collection of recipes.
Here are a couple of tips:
1) Make this first.
- Make this Creamy Cole Slaw first when preparing your meal. Even though it is delicious at the get-go, it will benefit from an hour or two in the fridge.
2) About your salad ingredients:
- We like to use red cabbage instead of green cabbage because it is a little softer and sweeter. Not to mention the color is amazing.
- We also like to use arugula because it has a wonderful peppery flavor. But any green will be good. Of course, parsley is great, but you can sneak in some other greens like kale or spinach, too.
Serve your Creamy Cole Slaw with Crispy Chicken Katsu Sandwiches!